Pages

Monday, March 22, 2010

{Manic Mondays}

There is a FABULOUS article about leaving the guilt behind in this month's issue of Parenting magazine.
We all have those days where even shutting the door while you pee makes your mom-guilt meter swell above the limit, but what I'm wondering is who made these "new rules"?!? And why do they seem to apply only to our generation of parents? It's crazy. I feel like I've turned out fine, and I was raised in the get-outside-and-stay-outside-until-the-street-lights-come-on era. My mom never felt guilty (or never admitted it) about what she might be doing wrong to affect my future. I think she always had the mentality that she had it a lot worse and she also had too much other shit to worry about rather than me. I'm not saying I wasn't cared for or taken care of. I got what I needed when I needed it, but above and beyond? No. And it doesn't matter. Because it taught me that you can't always get more than what you need. Sometimes, there's just no money left, or time left from two working parents. Sometimes you need to wake up and face the fact that you're the kid, and the world doesn't revolve around you and the big picture is that you turn out to be a moralistic, caring, contributing member of society, not the next winner of American Idol.  In my childhood, you were not treated as this special star that could do anything and change the world if you wanted. And in some ways, sure, it taught us to be submissive to authority, not to question anything, and take everything at face value. But what else did it teach us? It taught us that everyone has something they can contribute, whether it be the next CEO or the garbage man. NOT EVERYONE can be the best. Not everyone can be in charge. The world doesn't work that way.
So, I say, moms, quit feeling so guilty about missing the deadline for french lessons for your 2 yr old. Don't feel bad that your child can't play 5 different musical instruments. You're doing a fine job. Your child will survive. And if you're lucky, they'll grow up with a realistic approach on life knowing that sometimes you fail. And mommy won't always be there to hold your hand in that job interview.
Read the article, I think you'll agree (or change your parenting style).

0 comments:

Post a Comment

The Past

Related Posts with Thumbnails