Pages

Tuesday, March 9, 2010

The Martyr, the choking child, and the link.

Okay, so I just finished "The Stay at Home Martyr" (Joanne Kimes & Jennifer Worley).****

Fortunately, I am not so far gone that I need a 12 step program or anything like that. (If you are a currently a mom, reading this blog, you need to get a copy of this book!)

For example, I completely follow the "don't clean the house because kids are healthier in the long run because of it" theory. In fact, I think my family invented that theory!

But I do need some help. I admit that nobody will ever watch my kids as closely as I will (including DH). So, I decided to make some changes.

Today, after our unscheduled walk and trip to the park (so the kids don't get to used to a real schedule), I threw some snacks on the floor (so the kids are allowed to have some creativity in mealtimes) and found something else to do (so the kids can make their own mistakes without me eagle-eying every move).

At some point, my DS (who is almost 2) started choking. Now, being that I was actually not paying attention, although I was in the same room, I was hoping as I hopped out of the recliner and carelessly threw DD (who is 7 months) on the floor that he was choking on the goldfish crackers that he was snacking on!

He, in fact, was. Whew!

So, I gave him the ever popular (cure all) "spank the back" method of anti-choking. He coughed, gagged, I swept his mouth with my finger, caught a goldfish, he gagged some more (from my finger down his throat), then he started crying.

And then he put more goldfish in his mouth.

Problem solved.

But this brought me to a distant memory of a blog I used to read and hilarious posting about games for one year olds. "Mom-101: Too young for Chutes & Latters, too old to just sit while you drink" One of her games is: Put things in your mouth you can choke on... TOO TRUE!!! Check it out at the above link.

Anyway, after all that, I need a good stiff drink:


ahhh... I guess I need to pay more attention.

****Stay tuned for more of my journey through martyrdom!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

The Past

Related Posts with Thumbnails