Pages

Thursday, June 17, 2010

True Confessions...

Sometimes when I look at others' pictures, facebook posts or blogs, I really think that I am not doing enough.  I know that one of the hardest parts (mentally) about being a mother is the comparing that gets done.  

But, sometimes, I just can't help falling into that trap!!! 

I think I fall into it because there is a part of me that wants to be supermom and wife, but part of me that wants to be laidback mom and wife.  You know the kind... they say they like a "lived in" look and they REALLY mean it.  They go to bed with chores undone and sleep just fine.  They leave the kids with a sitter and don't get annoyed bc said sitter put the dishes in the wrong cabinet.  The leave the kids with a sitter, period.  Come on... you know the kind!  I want to be her. 

BUT, I also want to be Bree Van de Kamp Hodge.  I do.  I want to be beautifully coiffed. I want to have a lovely house.  I want to prepare home cooked meals every night. 

I look at others and constantly make excuses for why I am not doing what they are doing.  For example, my kids are 16 months apart and still very young (under 2.5) and I constantly use that as an excuse for why I am so: messy, tired, forgetful, behind in housework, short-tempered, out of shape, and so on and so forth. 

And then I feel like I am making excuses, where others are taking action.  Which leads to guilt and depression.  Which leads to laying on the couch making more excuses.  (Well, that is an exaggeration--I never get to lay on the couch--did I mention I have two tinies at home?) 

But the point is that I am guilty of falling into the big mommy trap.   The one where I am just not good enough because there is someone out there whose kids don't whine.  Or are potty trained.  Or talk in full sentences.  Or whatever...

But I am getting better and, at the end of the day, that's all that really counts! 

Right?

1 comments:

Abbey said...

I couldn't agree more with this, yes, you are doing good!

Post a Comment

The Past

Related Posts with Thumbnails