Pages

Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Board and Batten Tutorial


Ok, I have to say, few years ago this would not have been my choice for style in my home. However, it's warming up to me, or I'm warming up to it, whoever warms up to whom...I'm confused.
Anyway, when we moved in, there was no "coat closet" per se so I enlisted the help of my father (aren't they great?!) and ripped out the teeny tiny closet to expand it to an "entry way mud room". The first go around, I did it on the cheap, since I thought I couldn't afford anything fancy like Board and Batten. Here's what it looked like:

In the middle was a small coat rack.
These are all build it yourself cubbys.

I took everything out, started spackling and that's when my DH came home and started whining (as he does everytime I try and change something in the house), "Wh...wh...whaaaaat? Whhhhhhhyyyyyyyy? Noooooooooo!" I said, "you're traveling this week right?" Miraculously, he stopped caring, when he knew he wouldn't have to live with the mid-construction period.

So off to Lowes to get the supplies.
- 1 1/2 primed MDF
- 3 1/4 primed MDF
- SemiGloss White Paint (I was running out, usually I have this)
-12 inch simple shelf

Already had-
-Shoe cubbys I was repurposing
-Level
-Painters tape 
-measuring tape
-finishing nails (for trim)
- (2) 2X4s for the base of cubbys

Ok, let's get started.




The top row is the 3 inch MDF, I stuck it up there, leveled it, and nailed it on. For the Battens measure, cut, measure again, level, measure again, and level again, then tape the crap out of your boards to get them to stay on the wall.
Now start driving those nails in! And if you have an air nailer, first of all I'm jealous, and secondly, you could totally do this during nap time. The pounding was NOT happening during the only bit of sanity I get throughout the day.
(P.S.-I've seen a lot of people use liquid nails for this, I didn't have any, but wasn't sure I wanted something too permanent since we aren't staying in this house forever and for some reason I'm already thinking about the next people who live here ripping this out and making fun of me behind my back...I need help.)


                                          
Next step is painting. I love painting, but I totally HATE the cleanup!
Doesn't it look all pottery barn-ish already!?

Ok the next step looks time consuming but it's really not. I had these cubbys in there before and didn't want to have to make or buy new ones. I had three all together and only needed two. So I took apart one and borrowed some boards to make these full "boxed" cubbys.
I had some extra base board left in my garage from another project, so I glued and nailed it onto one of the 2X4s. Then I took the (2) 2X4s and cut them to size, laid them on end on the floor and put wood glue on the top of them. I simply set my cubbys on top, positioned them and laid some other (sort of heavy) boards on top. This (I hope) will prevent them from "rocking" when my kids climb all over it. Cause that will happen. Trust me.


The hole in the center there, I'm not really sure what to do. I thought of an umbrella holder, and case it in at the front, but now I'm thinking of just boxing it in with extra wood. Hmm, the possibilities are endless... :)


So here is my almost finished project. All I have left is to add the hooks for coats and start loading it up with all my shoes! (I guess the families shoes can go there too...if there's room)

Now, sit back, enjoy your work and sip some vino!

At his point, you're probably wondering, "Cleo, how on earth do you have time to do all this stuff AND raise three beautiful, well rounded, uber-intellengent children!?" (you were thinking that right?
Well, I have to admit my oldest had a little "run in" with one of the cubbys while I was busy working. So it might be a sign that I absolutely don't need to accomplish a project in 24 hours.






Email me if you have questions! thehumanengineer(at)gmail(dot)com

Happy Building!








1 comments:

Frugal Home Designs said...

That looks great and so much more functional. I did something similiar in my entry, but don't have room for the shoe cubbies unfortunately. I added coat hooks to the board and batten, so high and some low so hopefully the kids will start hanging up their coats :)

Post a Comment

The Past

Related Posts with Thumbnails